The construction of a new roof top extension of the existing Nursing, Therapies, Sociology and Politics Building located on the St. Anthony’s Site on the Campus of the National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG) was to provide the building with office space to service the university.
The total area of the extension on the roof of the existing Áras Moyola building is 487m2 and was formed around the existing plant located at roof level. Building on the roof of the existing live Áras Moyola Building posed a number of challenges such as:
- Restrictions to work methodologies and flexibilities
- Logistical and management challenges for the successful contractor
- Material transportation to roof level
- Limited and confined area for craneage of material etc.
- Working overhead of an existing live building;
- Isolating the existing roof-top plant area from a fire perspective